these very important articles.
More articles on legal matters in the equine industry can be found at the site listed below.
Florida Equine Activity Statute
(1) "Engages in an equine activity" means riding, training, assisting in veterinary treatment of, driving, or being a passenger upon an equine, whether mounted or unmounted, visiting or touring or utilizing an equine facility as part of an organized event or activity, or any person assisting a participant or show management. The term "engages in an equine activity" does not include being a spectator at an equine activity, except in cases where a spectator places himself in an unauthorized area.
(2) "Equine" means a horse, pony, mule, or donkey.
(3) "Equine activity" means:
(b) Equine training or teaching activities or both.
(c) Boarding, including normal daily care of an equine.
(d) Riding, inspecting, or evaluating an equine belonging to another by a purchaser or an agent, whether or not the owner has received monetary consideration or other thing of value for the use of the equine or is permitting a prospective purchaser to ride, inspect, or evaluate it.
(e) Rides, trips, hunts, or other equine activities of any type, no matter how informal or impromptu, that are sponsored by an equine activity sponsor.
(f) Placing or replacing horseshoes or hoof trimming on an equine.
(g) Providing or assisting in veterinary treatment.
(4) "Equine activity sponsor" means an individual, group, club, partnership, or corporation, whether or not the sponsor is operating for profit or nonprofit, which sponsors, organizes, or provides the facilities for an equine activity, including, but not limited to: pony clubs, 4-H clubs, hunt clubs, riding clubs, school and college- sponsored classes, programs, and activities, therapeutic riding programs, stable and farm owners and operators, instructors, and promoters of equine facilities, including, but not limited to, farms, stables, clubhouses, pony ride strings, fairs, and arenas at which the activity is held.
(5) "Equine professional" means
a person engaged for compensation:
(6) "Inherent risks of equine
activities" means those dangers or conditions which are an integral part
of equine activities, including, but not limited to:
(7) "Participant" means any person, whether amateur or professional, who engages in an equine activity, whether or not a fee is paid to participate in the equine activity.
773.02 General provisions.
Except as provided in § 773.03, an equine activity sponsor, an equine professional, or any other person, which shall include a corporation or partnership, shall not be liable for an injury to or the death of a participant resulting from the inherent risks of equine activities and, except as provided in § 773.03, no participant nor any participant's representative shall have any claim against or recover from any equine activity sponsor, equine professional, or any other person for injury, loss, damage, or death of the participant resulting from any of the inherent risks of equine activities.
773.03 Limitation on liability for equine activity; exceptions.
(1) This section applies to the horseracing industry as defined in chapter 550.
(2) Nothing in § 773.02
shall prevent or limit the liability of an equine activity sponsor, an
equine professional, or any other person if the equine activity sponsor,
equine professional, or person:
773.04 Posting and notification.
(1) Every equine activity sponsor and equine professional shall:
(a) Post and maintain one or more signs which contain the warning notice specified in subsection (2). These signs shall be placed in a clearly visible location near to where the equine activity begins. The warning notice specified in subsection (2) shall appear on the sign in black letters, with each letter to be a minimum of 1 inch in height, with sufficient color contrast to be clearly distinguishable.
(b) Give the participant a written document which the participant shall sign with the warning notice specified in subsection (2) clearly printed on it. Said written document may be used in lieu of posting the warning on the site of the equine activity sponsor's or equine professional's facility, and shall be given to any participant in an equine event not on the location of the equine activity sponsor's or equine professional's facility.
(2) The signs and document described in subsection (1) shall contain the following warning notice:
Florida law, an equine activity sponsor or
773.05 Limitation on liability of persons making land available to public for recreational purposes.
Nothing in §§ 773.01-773.05 shall be construed to limit in any way the limitation of liability granted to private citizens who allow the public to use their land for recreational purposes, as provided in § 375.251.
Enacted in 1993, amended in
Academies | Articles | Businesses | Classifieds | Clinics | Employment | Equestrian News | Farms | Farriers | Feed/Hay | Gifts/Jewelry | Horse Events | Horse Sales | Hurricane Info | Legal/Accounting | Other Links | Photo Contest | Publications | RealEstate | Rates | Show Dates | Stallions | Stalls/Barns for Rent | Stolen Horses | Trainers | Vacations | Veterinary | Contact Us | Home |